Subscribe now

WANYAMA bemoans POCHETINO'S exit, hints at leaving saints to look for champions league football

Thursday, May 29, 2014-The departure of Argentine tactician, Mauricio Pochetino from Southampton has left the club’s stars considering their future at the St. Mary’s.

Among the top players who have bemoaned Pochetino’s exit is Kenyan midfielder, Victor Wanyama.

The 22-year old, who joined Southampton from Celtic last summer, has expressed his sadness at the departure of Pochetino, who he says has played a key role in his development and hinted that he is keen to quit the Saints in favour of a club that will offer him Champions League football.

Wanyama played in the elite club competition with Celtic prior to his move to the Premier League where he scored in the famous 2-1 victory over Barcelona in the group stages at Park Head.

The Harambee Stars Captain intimated: 

“I will be happy to play in any team that is in the Champions League, that’s my aim, I wanted to face a new challenge in English Premier League and now that I’ve conquered it, very soon I will be going back to playing in the biggest tournament in the world.

“I tasted it and I think it’s important to all footballers.

“It was a good feeling when I scored against a big team like Barcelona since we
were the first to break their unbeaten run before bitter rivals Real Madrid beat them
too, so they only lost those two matches and that makes me feel proud until
today.

Wanyama was heavily linked with Manchester United and Arsenal before sealing his £12.5m move to St. Mary’s making him the first Kenyan to grace the Barclays Premier League.

On Pochetino, who joined Tottenham Hotspur Wanyama said:

 “I learnt a lot from him, he taught me more and that’s why I have grown as a
player and there is a big difference compared to when I was at Celtic.

“I wanted him to remain because he had the passion for the club and I think the
owners should not have let him go because the team can do better next season. It’s a big blow because he had good connection with the players.

The Saints face a fight to keep their best players with Lallana being linked with Liverpool, Shaw to United and Rodriguez to Spurs.

0 comments:

Post a Comment